Best Kitchen Remodel Software for Beginners
What room is at the center of your home? The kitchen, right? It’s the most important room in the house, where everyone meets together to talk, drink coffee, and often eat, too!
Of course, while we all dream of a big kitchen we can entertain in, it has to be practical, too. You need storage space for all the food, work surfaces to prepare meals, an oven, sink, refrigerator and freezer, and other features. And if you want your kitchen to be beautiful and functional, you’re going to need great kitchen remodel software to help.
What Is Kitchen Remodel Software?
A kitchen remodel program will take all the guesswork out of designing the perfect kitchen. You’ll be able to enter your exact measurements and requirements and generate 3D models of what your kitchen could look like.
How Do You Plan Your Kitchen Design With Kitchen Remodel Software?
Most kitchen remodel software is designed for professional kitchen designers, and so isn’t beginner friendly. It can also be expensive, and so isn’t necessary if you’re simply looking to design your personal kitchen remodel.
Instead, try Skipp.
Skipp is the easy way to generate thousands of layouts for your kitchen. We have a fast and easy 4-step process that makes the time-consuming task of modeling kitchen remodels a breeze. All it takes is:
- We’ll Measure Your 3D Kitchen Measurements: this is the most crucial part of a kitchen remodel. If you get something wrong, all the hours you’ve spent fiddling and learning a kitchen remodel program will go down the drain. Instead, we come and get all your precise measurements in just one in-person 30-minute scan.
- We’ll Generate Thousands of Layouts: next we’ll generate thousands of layouts so you can see all the possible options for your kitchen, and then narrow them down based on your budget and needs.
- Work with a Top Designer: you can even work with a top designer to remodel your kitchen to the highest standard. Best of all, it will cost you approximately 40% less than working with any other good contractor!
- Top-Quality Construction Begins: once everything is planned and mapped out, and you’ve picked your style, it’s time to get to work on the remodel! We only partner with the best contractors in your area, so you can be sure your kitchen is built to the highest possible standard.
Types Of Kitchen Remodel Software Available Today
There is plenty of choice of kitchen remodel design software. Some are free and some you have to pay for, some are web-based, and some you need to download. While a few are kitchen specific, most will let you design all sorts of rooms but have a kitchen design capability. There are many aspects to consider when designing a kitchen, but the software should guide you through the process. Here are a few if you’re thinking of trying to figure out your remodel on your own:
Homestyler – this is free but it is designed for people who work in the interior design industry, so isn’t accessible for beginners. If you have experience with CAD, however, you may find it familiar.
IKEA 3D Kitchen Planner – this is another free software but is very bare-bones. If you just want to play around with possible designs on your own and aren’t bothered by the rendering, it’s a good option.
SmartDraw – no 3D rendering here, but a great basic software for all designs, diagrams, and templates.
Architect 3D – not free, but affordable. It’s not focused on kitchens, but is a good option if you’re building your home.
Why Use Kitchen Remodel & Design Software?
If your budget doesn’t stretch to a kitchen designer, then kitchen remodel software is by far your best option. Even if you are going to employ contractors to fit your kitchen, you need to be able to show them exactly what you want, and kitchen renovation software allows you to do just that. If you are going to fit the kitchen yourself, then a kitchen remodel program is a must. A sketch on the back of an envelope is not going to cut it!
It also allows you to play with concepts, design and color way before you actually purchase the cabinets, worktops, and everything else.
If you want to DIY your kitchen but still want to take advantage of our kitchen design tools – we’ll be happy to help you! Simply reach out to us for your estimate and we’ll talk you through the process of DIYing your kitchen.
Pros & Cons of Kitchen Remodel Software
Every package is different, so not all pros and cons apply to every program, but things to look out for are:
- Crisp, clear graphics
- Easy to use measurements, even in 3D
- Ease of use
- You can fiddle with your design until you’re happy with it
- The availability of a good choice of different designs
- Some can be expensive
- Free software is limited in features and graphics
- Versatility can come at the price of a steep learning curve
- Support can be sketchy
- They’re not designed for beginners
- Some packages can be a little buggy
Is Kitchen Remodel Software Easy To Use?
The simple answer is some are, and some aren’t. You do have to be accurate with what you input; that’s a given. If you are tech-savvy, you will probably find most are fairly easy to grasp, but if you’re not…
If you’re planning on redesigning kitchens and rooms on this software often, but if you’re not, it will be a waste of time to learn.
Skipp can take all the worries away by doing all the techy stuff for you, guiding you through the entire process from beginning to end. Whether you want to work with us for the entirety of your kitchen remodel, or simply want to use our plans for your DIY project, we’re here to help.
Things to Plan for When Designing and Remodeling a Kitchen
If you have lived with your present kitchen for a while, you will probably be well aware of any deficiencies it has and its plus points. Grab a piece of paper and write down your needs and wants. Here are some things to consider:
- Frequent traffic areas – where is the best place for your refrigerator so people aren’t bumping into one another?
- Where you want your hob and oven to be – do you want them to be in a central position for socializing, or out of the way?
- Do you have a utility room or separate pantry you can use?
- Your children or future children and if they have any needs
- Do you want any major features?
- Do you want a built-in eating area?
- How much storage space do you need?
- How much cabinet space do you need?
- Do you cook often? Would you like to cook more often?
- Will the colors you want match your lifestyle? A white kitchen is beautiful, but difficult to maintain with two toddlers!
What Type of Things Can You Plan With Kitchen Remodel Software?
With some kitchen remodel programs, pretty much the sky's the limit, only your imagination can hold you back. Cabinets, colors, flooring, it can all be specified. Don’t forget some of the free apps are often geared towards one manufacturer, so make certain you want their products before you go through the design process.
With Skipp, you can design your kitchen down to the smallest detail!
What is the best software for kitchen design?
Skipp, of course! If you’re determined to DIY your planning, you can find some of the best suggestions above. However, we take all the worry from the process, leaving you free to look forward to the kitchen of your dreams.
Our top designers use our software to design the perfect kitchen for you and your space from the ground-up. Our designers can not only help you plan a functional kitchen, they’ll help you plan one that’s worthy of Instagram or Pinterest, too!
DIY Kitchen Design Software: Benefits of DIY Renovations
Planning a kitchen renovation is always fun, but the actual DIY? Not so much.
Fortunately, if you plan effectively and ensure all your measurements are absolutely correct, you’ll have a much better chance of the renovation going smoothly. One of the best ways to do this is to use kitchen design software.
So, what are the benefits of doing a DIY Renovation?
- You save money. This has to be the biggest benefit, because labor is one of the largest expenses involved in any kitchen renovation or remodel.
- You can work at your own pace. If you’re doing your own renovation, you don’t need to do it all in one go. You could paint the cabinets one weekend and replace the countertops the next.
- It’s easier to budget. Because you don’t have to complete it all in one go, you can spread out the cost of the renovation over a few weeks or even months.
Is there an app to remodel your kitchen?
There are some apps available for your phone that will help you remodel your kitchen, but they aren’t often particularly effective. If you’re looking to use software to remodel your kitchen, you're better off heading to your laptop or desktop to use the right software or website to help plan. We’ll talk through some of the best software options below, or you can scroll up the page to find a few free options.
Is kitchen design software the right choice for me?
It could be! It really depends on what you’re looking for and your design skills.
Yes, it’s right for you if you’re planning to DIY your entire kitchen remodel or renovation and have some design skills or experience remodeling or renovating kitchens. It’s also a good choice if you just want a basic overview of what you’re looking for, rather than precise measurements.
It might be right for you if you’re working with professionals for some parts of your renovation, so you can better show them what you’re planning.
It’s not the right choice for you if you’re not techy or have little experience using design software like this, and you want super-precise measurements that you can order the necessary materials from. If this is the case, you’ll be better working with design professionals like Skipp who can give you access to top-of-the-range software and help you through the design process.
Which programs do kitchen designers use?
Some of the programs kitchen designers use are:
- Chief Architect: Home Designer Suite – This suite of software is used by architects and other design professionals focusing on new builds and renovations. It’s relatively expensive, especially if you want to use their professional tools. They offer a DIY version, but it’s still going to set you back around $500, so it is really too expensive for most DIY projects.
- SmartDraw – SmartDraw primarily works with flowcharts and similar, but they also have a free online floor plan creator, which many professionals use to draw up floor plans for new builds or home sales. While the design is basic, it can be a good way to figure out your remodel or renovation layout.
- ProKitchen Software – This software is super impressive, which is what you need if you’re an interior designer, kitchen or bathroom professional. However, it’s really not designed for individual use, as is reflected in the price. A 1-year subscription will set you back at least $1095, so this one is best left to the professionals!
- HGTV Kitchen Design Software – If you love relaxing while watching HGTV, you’re not alone! While they don’t directly produce home renovation software, you will find Virtual Architect Kitchen Design Software. This software is used by some general contractors but is starting to look a little outdated.
- Punch! Software Home Design Studio – This is another professional home design software designed to help home, interior, and construction professionals properly project what their projects will look like for clients. You can get the software relatively cheap if you just want the essentials, but the professional versions are priced between $100 and $300.
- Space Designer 3D – This is another professional floor plan designer that can also create 3D projections to show clients what a floorplan will look like. While it can be used by non-professionals, you may struggle to get the best from the tool, especially if you have a space that’s an unconventional shape or size.
The problem with all these options is that they’re either too expensive (blowing your DIY budget out of the water) or have such a large learning curve that it’s just not worth it. Essentially, it would be like buying and learning how to use Photoshop to make a one-time graphic. It’s often not worth it.
Instead, your best option is to use Skipp. Our professional kitchen design software works with your kitchen's exact measurements to generate hundreds of different design options that are quickly and easily customized by you, with or without the assistance of one of our professional kitchen designers. You can then use those designs for your DIY renovation. Click here to start today.
Is there a free app to design kitchens?
Yes, there are a few different free softwares and apps you can use, though with varying degrees of quality. Here are a few of the most popular free options:
- Home Stratosphere Interior Design Software – they have an app for Android and iOS, but they’re often buggy. It’s best to stick to the web app.
- Homestyler – this is another free tool that allows you to design a room by filling it with their furniture options. Good if you have a kitchen with easy dimensions.
- Home Hardware Kitchen Design Software – this is a good online free option that allows you to use pre-designed kitchen and room templates you can use as a basis for your kitchen design.
- Backsplash and Cabinet Design Software – this does what it says on the tin and is good for figuring out what color combination you want to choose.
- IKEA’s Kitchen Planner – if you’re planning a DIY kitchen renovation, you’re probably not going to replace your kitchen with an IKEA kitchen, but their kitchen planner tool is good for basic planning.
- Lowe’s Virtual Kitchen Designer – Similarly to the above, Lowe’s also offers a kitchen design planning tool using their cabinets.
- Skipp – our kitchen remodel software is free for you, and you only have to budget for the cost of your materials, and construction labor.
How do you design a perfect kitchen?
Your perfect kitchen starts with you; you need to decide on your preferences and needs. When you are thinking about designing your perfect kitchen, consider:
- Your preferred design style
- The style of your home
- The area where you live
- What storage you need
- How much countertop space you need
- Your preferred colors
- The durability of your materials
- Your budget
From there, you can start actually getting into the design phase. Designing the “perfect” kitchen as a non-professional is always going to be difficult – it’s like attempting to paint a masterpiece when you’ve never painted before. That’s why it’s likely going to be best to work with a professional on the design, even if you want to DIY the rest of the project.
Why use Skipp kitchen design software for kitchen design?
Our kitchen software is the only software that will ensure you’re working with your kitchen's exact measurements. Working with Skipp starts with an in-person 30-minute scan of your kitchen, in which our tools take precise measurements of your space.
After that, our software will generate hundreds of design options that you can filter by your budget, preferences, and requirements to get your dream design, which can be further tailored down to every detail. You can choose to work with one of our expert designers to make sure you’ve considered every option, and then you can take your plan and execute it yourself!